Data Privacy Adviser (DPA)
The title of CERN's data protection officer is "Data Privacy Adviser" (DPA).
The DPA is nominated by CERN's Director-General for a period of three years, which may be extended or renewed by the Director-General at his or her discretion.
The DPA shall exercise his/her functions in an independent and impartial manner, and reports directly to the Director-General.
Since the 1st April 2019, Gabriele Thiede is CERN's DPA.
Mandate of the Data Privacy Adviser
The DPA as head of the ODP
- is responsible for ensuring that the ODP fulfils its responsibilities and deliverables in accordance with OC 11.
- informs and advises the Organization and its members of the personnel of their data protection rights and obligations under OC 11.
- acts as the contact point on privacy matters, including concerning data subject access requests.
- creates awareness regarding the DPA’s functions.
- advises and makes recommendations for the implementation of OC 11.
- monitors the data privacy protection framework and makes necessary proposals for its continuous improvement and alignment with best practices in CERN’s member states.
- issues an annual report on the activities of the DPA and the ODP to the Director-General.
(Mandate approved by the Director-General on the 17.10.2019.)